You will have all manner of people- real estate agents, potential buyers and looky-loos- trooping through your house during open houses and showings. While I like to assume the best about people, I also think its important to play it safe.
Here's 5 tips for safety while your home is on the market:
- Lock up or hide all prescription medications. They are usually expensive, easy to sell on the street and are a prime target for thieves.
- Lock up or hide personal papers or bills. Don't leave your social security number or account numbers in plain sight for identity thieves. Its no one's business how much you owe or how much money you have in your checking account.
- Lock up or hide jewelry, cash or collectibles. That signed baseball, silver Tiffany dinner bell, or diamond tennis bracelet are very enticing to someone with sticky fingers.
- Don't leave extra keys in plain sight. Its an open invitation to a thief to come back later and help themselves when no one is around.
- Lock up or hide any firearms or weapons you may own. Hiding them in a drawer next to the bed or in your sock drawer is not good enough. Lock them in a safe or remove them from the house.
Yes, your listing agent will take every precaution to make sure your home and possessions are safe and secure, but they can't be everywhere at once. Often theft teams will use one person to engage the real estate agent, while other members of the team case the house. Follow these tips and play it safe when your Los Angeles home is on the market.
This post is part of my ongoing series 365 Things About Los Angeles Home Staging on FaceBook. Be sure to click the like button (if you like:o))
2015 RESA Professional Stager of the Year
2014 RESA Top 10 Professional Home Stager2010 RESA Professional Stager of the Year
Michelle has staged hundreds of Los Angeles homes, many of which have sold with multiple offers, above listing price.
She works with home sellers, listing agent, builders, flippers and asset managers to prepare homes for sale throughout Los Angeles and North Orange County.
Moving Mountains Design provides vacant home staging, color consultations, corporate and executive relocations, and interior design. We also stage model homes, REOs, foreclosures and auction properties for real estate investors and asset managers. Builders hire us to stage their models or to help move inventory when sales slow down.
For more information about our Los Angeles home staging services, contact Michelle at (626)385-8852 or by email.
Click here to see our Los Angeles home staging portfolio
Click here to go to our Los Angeles home staging blog
Click here for more information about home staging in Los Angeles and how we can help sell your home faster and for the best price